The Darling Series Forum

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post
Joan Philo  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 6, 2010 8:30:21 PM(UTC)
Joan Philo

Meet New York

One thousand pirouettes. Ten thousand rehearsals, over and over, do this, do that, look up, look out. Study, work, laugh, breathe, and… again! It’s all in the work. Whether you’re looking at Academy Award winners. Tony winners, Olympic Gold medalists, or Pulitzer Prize winners the road is the same. Winners work their butts off. Do you want it? Then you must go for it. This is the quest for Greatness.

The best part is that on this quest there is the journey. The book, the studio, the play, the tree in the park, the restaurant, the cup of tea, the place you can’t believe you discovered that charged the moment, catapulted the desire, and cemented your destiny. There are thousands of tiny moments. They add up. To. Your. Greatnesss.

Meet New York

(My New York, my places, and the moments that inspired me. The things that spurred me on, shook me up, and left me reaching higher…)

Gasp! The Brooklyn Bridge. Yes, I really did gasp. After 20 hours on a train from Chicago to New York where I watched the scenery slip by on either side of the train and now I was seeing the Brooklyn Bridge! It was quite the sight. I had arrived in NEW YORK.

I have always had a love affair with New York, sight unseen. When the train finally stopped I could not wait to jump off and explore the city. It was sublime and divine. It was everything I dreamed of and so much more. It was gritty, messy, and beautiful. I could not tear my eyes away from the buildings. They were incredible! Everywhere I looked, there were people of so many ethnicities. God is living large in New York! On every corner there was a cart with delectable smells and enticing foods. I was lovin' every minute of New York.

New York Apple Youth Hostel. What an awesome time I had at this hostel, which is located right off of 45th street and Times Square. My roommates were all staying for the week. Staying together in this room was the most amazing group of women I have ever met. Powerful women. Funny women. Adventurous women. My New York trip was to attend a film event. The event turned out to be these women.

August Osage County was hands down the best play I have ever seen. Where the heck was I when Chicago's Steppenwolf Theater was putting this up? I wracked my brain to think of what film I was working on the kept me in the dark about this play. It was brilliant! I went to it because my graphic designer, Mike, recommended it. I was absolutely blown away. Then, of course, I read everything I could about the play and its producer, Jean Domaaine.

At Wicked, I cried three times during the play. Then halfway through it, I started wondering, who was playing Elphaba? I came to find out it was my favorite Mad TV performer Nicole Parker. I was in heaven. What luck!

The HB studio. So close to auditing a class! I am a huge believer of the work of UTA HAGEN.

I dropped into a ballet dance class at the American Ballet Theatre then off to a film expo.

Picked up a catalogue at PARSON'S school. I sat in the foyer and watched students buzz back and forth.

New York is full of possibility. Forget about how hard "making it" is. Forget about the impossible wash of doubt. Forget about begruding anyone's success.

This is your journey. This is your story. It's your name on the marquee. NOW, GO FOR IT!

I will be going back to New York to work, study, and to grow as a performer. I would like to know about your journey, your places to study, and your places of inspiration.

*Please note: This thread is not for speaking of places to stay away from. It is not for posting about a place you had a bad experience. This thread is for GREATNESS your have found in New York.

I hope that by reading these posts you discover wonderful places to study your craft in New York. I hope that we meet others in New York, by way of this thread, who can tell us the excellent places where they study the craft of acting/performing/dance.

Show up. Do the work. Do more work.

What is your journey to greatness in New York?

Edited by user Monday, August 9, 2010 3:30:14 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Give back. Donate. Love.